Accounting Principles and Standards Course Overview
This course is designed to give some background on the fundamental accounting principles that underlie accounting standards and explore in more depth, some of the specific accounting standards commonly encountered by financial analysts. A good understanding of accounting standards is essential for reading and interpreting financial statements and in creating robust financial models.
Accounting Principles and Standards Learning Objectives
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the fundamental accounting principles that underly more detailed accounting standards
- Understand why it is important to have as well as the characteristics of useful financial information
- Explain the common accounting standards that financial analysts frequently encounter such as:
- Accrual basis of accounting
- Revenue recognition principle
- Historical cost principle
- Matching principle
- Materiality principle
- Conservatism principle
- Full disclosure principle
- Identify the key standards when accounting for leases, incomes taxes, share-based payments, business combinations, and transactional costs
Accounting Principles and Standards is a Core Course of CFI’s FMVA® Program
CFI’s Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA)® Program covers a critical body of knowledge that is necessary to become a world-class financial analyst, including financial analysis, financial modeling, valuation, dashboards, and data visualization. This program is designed in a practical and comprehensive way to help students grasp the in-demand industry knowledge and close the skills gap.
Who Should Take This FMVA® Course?
This Accounting Principles and Standards course covers the foundational knowledge every financial analyst should understand in order to perform sound financial reporting and analysis. Anyone who would like to start a career in investment banking, financial planning and analysis (FP&A), corporate development, equity research, and other areas of corporate finance should take this course to reinforce their accounting knowledge.
- Skills Learned Financial Modeling and Valuation, Sensitivity Analysis, Strategy
- Career Prep Investment Banking and Equity Research, FP&A, Corporate Development
7 courses from beginner to intermediate level.01Optional
11 courses from beginner to intermediate level.02Required
Take 3 out of 11 courses at an advanced level.03Required
Submit your FMVA® checklist and order your certificate.04Required
Join Our Community
Get access to the Global Corporate Finance Society.05Optional
How the Certification Works
FMVA® Financial Analyst Certification courses are offered 100% online, allowing you the flexibility to start the financial analyst program anytime and learn when it’s most convenient for you.
The program is a part of the All Access Subscription, which includes all programs and courses.
CFI courses are designed by instructors with over 21 years of financial analyst training experience.
I like the way this course made me think deeper about the material. Exercises were good, reviewing and cementing the course. Would highly recommend this course.
Excellent Course!! Great Resources
Francis Francis Cordero
Real examples are really appreciative.
Muhammad Allauddin Bari
I would like to know what happen if the performance condition is not satisfied when calculating the share-based expenses, especially if a service condition is fulffiled but not the performance's one